Saturday, February 27, 2010

Singing in His Shadow (#154 of 365+)

“Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings” (Psalm 63:7)

Today’s devotional speaks again about how I can find shelter
under God’s wings. This time, instead of speaking of God’s tender love and care—like that of a mother hen with her chicks— Joni said, “God describes himself so often as a powerful and beautiful bird arching his protective wing over us for our refuge… shelter… and safety”…

“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart” (Psalm 91:4)

Joni shared how she likes to sing quietly in the middle of the night when she is restless in bed. She will choose an old hymn and make it a kind of prayer song. It never fails to give her peace and/or put her to sleep. God’s faithfulness is the subject of many beautiful and powerful songs, hymns, and psalms. I should sing words from a song I’ve memorized or read from the psalms whenever I can’t get to sleep because of worrisome or scattered thoughts. Lately the following praise chorus we used to sing at church in the early 90’s has been on my mind and on my lips:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end
They are new every morning
New every morning
Great is thy faithfulness, O Lord
Great is thy faithfulness

“Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him’” (Lamentations 3:22-24)

Lord, the mercy and grace you’ve shown me has put a song in my heart that I will sing forever! Thank you for your amazing comfort and peace. Keep my son under your protective wing this weekend and may he sense your abiding presence as well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna