Saturday, February 13, 2010

God Is Love (#140 of 365+)

“And so we know and rely on the love God has for us” (1 John 4:16)

The words rely on in that verse indicates that it isn’t enough to
have a mental concept of God’s love. To rely on someone means I require action from him because I can’t do the action. For example, Joni is a quadriplegic so she relies on her husband and her friends to do those things that are impossible for her to do. She doesn’t rely on them to breathe for her, to speak for her, or to write books for her. Those are things she can do independently or with little assistance. Reliance, however, means 100% dependence.

Just because I learn that “Jesus Christ laid down his life for us” (1 John 3:16) and, even if I believe that, it isn’t enough to save me. Knowledge is never enough to save a soul. It takes being 100% dependent on God’s grace because he is the only one who can save me. I’m completely incapable of doing it on my own. It’s like trying to make a tiny contribution to a cause with a negative balance on my account. My effort is worthless! I fail before even trying! But the good news is Jesus Christ made up for my failures by doing it for me. He became the once-for-all atoning sacrifice for my sin (1 John 4:10).

Relying on God’s grace, his unmerited favor, means I understand I would be dead without him and on the fast track to Hell. But now I’ve been promised eternal security and I’ve received the gift of the Holy Spirit. So I now have the ability to do the opposite of sin—I can live and I can love the way God would want me to.

“Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him” (v.16)

“Love is made complete among us… because in this world we are like him” (v.17)

Lord, I trust in your complete work of salvation. Mold me and make me more into your image every day, so I may bring glory to your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna