Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wonder (#123 of 365+)

Throughout the centuries, numerous lists have been compiled of what people consider to be the great “Wonders of the World”. Here are some of my favorites:


Natural: Great Barrier Reef, Grand Canyon, Mount Everest, Aurora Borealis, Iguazu Falls

Man-made: Great Wall of China, Stonehenge, Colosseum in Rome, Old City of Jerusalem, Great Pyramid of Giza

But I’ve never seen any of those wonders in person. The closest I’ve been is when I watched documentaries about them on HD TV. I realize nothing can possibly compare to being in the presence of the real thing so, hopefully one day, I’ll be able to travel the world and see them with my very own eyes. For now I’ll have to settle for high resolution images.

It’s interesting how some of the most awe-inspiring events of my life— like seeing my newborn baby’s face for the first time—could never be captured adequately by even the most expensive photographic or videographic equipment. Sure, I may be able to record the event for posterity, but nothing except my heart can fully capture the emotion of the moment. The disciples probably felt that way when they tried to put into writing what it was like to be in the presence of Jesus Christ. “As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him” (Mark 9:15). The carpenter from Nazareth was so special people would respond to him in the most surprising ways. Fishermen and tax collectors would leave their livelihoods to follow him… Little children would work their way through the crowd to play with him… People would take apart a roof or climb into a tree to see him… A sinful woman would wash his feet with her hair, tears, and expensive perfume to honor him… Righteous men would conspire to murder him…

Isaiah foretold of the coming Messiah, “His name will be called Wonderful” and then continued to list jaw-dropping names like “Mighty God” and “Everlasting Father” (Isaiah 9:6 NKJV). Jesus himself proclaimed, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). There can be no doubt the Messiah, Jesus Christ, is God. After contemplating how God chose to clothe himself with the human experience from conception through death, Charles Spurgeon said, “Who can be astonished at anything, when he has once been astonished at the manger and the cross? What is there wonderful left after one has seen the Savior?”

Not one to mince words Joni emphasized, “That [God] would bless us with eternal pleasures when he could easily char us like burnt toast is a wonderful thing. His grace and goodness make us stand breathless”. Yes indeed, my Lord is truly amazing and worthy of my adoration.



Lyrics to “None But Jesus” by Hillsong United:

In the quiet, in the stillness
I know that you are God
In the secret of your presence
I know there I am restored
When you call I won't refuse
Each new day, again I'll choose

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise

In the chaos, in confusion
I know you're sovereign still
In the moment of my weakness
You give me grace to do your will
When you call I won't delay
This my song through all my days

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise

I am yours and you are mine

All my delight is in you Lord
All of my hope
All of my strength
All my delight is in you Lord
Forevermore...

Lord, I can't help but respond to your goodness with a worship song. Thank you for saving and sanctifying me. May I never refuse or delay when you call. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna