Thursday, January 28, 2010

Inspiring Examples (#124 of 365+)

“For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone” (Romans 14:7)

I probably mentioned this before in another post, but I’ll say it
again: I sure do enjoy my alone time! But Joni said, “No man is an island. We are all connected”. I can’t allow myself to ignore how my example will influence others. Someone, a believer or an unbeliever, is always watching the way I handle situations and the difficulties in life. Whether it’s my diabetic teenage son in his freshman year at public school, my co-worker diagnosed with both a virus and a life-threatening disease, my neighbor who has a newborn and a deployed husband, or maybe even someone who recently found this blog…

Immersing myself in the disciplines of prayer and scripture reading will strengthen my Christian character. Submitting to the lordship of Christ and listening to the Holy Spirit every day will lessen my tendency to be selfish, to doubt, or to become discouraged. But fellowship with and being accountable to other believers is one of the most essential, yet in my case often neglected, aspects to spiritual growth. Since in this life I’ll always be susceptible to the world, the flesh, and the devil—I must be open to receive honest feedback from my brothers and sisters and be constantly mindful of my witness. I want to effectively point others to Jesus and never hinder anyone's faith or spiritual development.

In today’s devotional, Joni encouraged everyone to pray for our role models, the godly examples of perseverance and sufficiency in Christ we look up to. As she said, “These Christian men and woman struggle with doubts and discouragement too”.

Lord Jesus, you know for whom I pray today. Give grace and encouragement, divine help, comfort, and the inspiration of your precious Holy Spirit in the life of these dear saints. Thank you for the positive impact they’ve had on my personal journey. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna