Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thought Patrol (#116 of 365+)

The apostle Paul called the devil “the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient” (Ephesians 2:2). Using modern terms, Joni called him “a regular soul-hacker” who is always gaining
access to and corrupting the human soul.

Jesus said, “When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart” (Matthew 13:19). By talking about Satan, Jesus made it clear the idea of the devil wasn’t antiquated superstition—he was and is real. And he’s dangerous! Even though my salvation in Christ is forever secure, the Enemy can do irreparable harm by distracting me or destroying my testimony. By doing so he can steal away another soul’s opportunity to hear the gospel and believe in Christ.

My husband and I watched the movie Defiance the other night. It was about a camp of Jewish refugees who had fled the Nazis and were struggling for survival in a forest. In one scene, a young man was tasked with standing guard at the perimeter of their camp. When he failed in his duties to stop a group of people from trespassing (luckily they were only Jews and not Nazis) one of the camp leaders started beating him. He said the young man deserved death because he could have cost everyone their lives. Later in the movie a couple of immoral Jews in the camp disregarded the rules and tried to overthrow their leader. It turned out one of their biggest enemies had been living among them all along.

Joni cautioned her readers to “put a barbwire fence around [our thoughts]”. Sinful thoughts often have subtle or seemingly harmless beginnings. I should be watchful about ideas I pick up from the media and cautious about the thoughts I continue to entertain. If my mind falls for a lie, my heart and life will surely tumble after.

“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). The Holy Spirit is always with me and he will help me “stand guard” over my mind, with the power of God’s Word as my greatest weapon. If the scripture was good enough for Jesus Christ to use in defense against the devil’s temptations (Matthew 4), it’s more than good enough for me. In order to draw out this weapon and use it effectively, I have to become familiar with it. I must read the Word regularly and even take the time to memorize key passages. It must be ingrained in my thoughts and become a part of who I am.

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:8)

Lord, help me to remember your Word when deception or temptation threatens to cross the perimeter of my mind. May your Holy Spirit stand guard over my thought life. Thank you for giving my husband great wisdom and discernment. Protect his mind and heart so our family will always be able to rely on his leadership. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna