Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Right Resolution (#103 of 365+)

The first week of New Year’s resolutions has passed. Although I don’t usually make them, I did resolve to do more walking this year. And I’m not talking leisurely walks for the fun of it. I work
behind a desk all day and as my body gets older it keeps reminding me that good health is not an option. It’s a necessity. Not only does physical activity help my metabolism, but outdoor exercise clears my mind and gives me more energy. I’ve already discovered one lap around my favorite park equals exactly one mile! So I’m determined to do four laps every day, time permitting…

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:16)

I won’t have to adjust my eating habits much. I don’t consume too many calories every day, but I should probably cut back on the sodium. I don’t think I’d ever succeed with a crash diet or one that tries to drastically change my lifelong eating habits. When people say “soul food” I think of what I call my “Seoul food”—Korean cuisine. I can’t live without it!

Speaking of soul food… Joni recommended an outstanding New Year’s Resolution: To daily “invite his Spirit to replenish you as you spend time in his Word and in prayer”. As she explained, “Our inner being metabolizes quickly and just one day of neglect will bring on spiritual malnutrition”. Skipping a daily devotional is like skipping food for the day. If I did that I’d be really grumpy!

David was inspired to write these words from Psalm 63 when he was in the Desert of Judah. Today I will make them my prayer: O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water… My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna