Friday, January 8, 2010

Advancing the Gospel (#104 of 365+)

The Holy Spirit urged me to pray at an unusual hour yesterday and when I did I was surprised at how fervent my prayers were. You see, I pray almost daily for spiritual transformation within
the three branches of our nation’s government. I also pray specifically for the salvation and sanctification of a few leaders and their family members by name. Since I make this plea so frequently I try to avoid being repetitive. I don’t want what started out as a petition from a sincere heart to become just another empty religious exercise.

I realize God desires all souls to be saved even though not all will accept his free gift. But sometimes I ask him if I’m just banging my head against a brick wall. Am I asking him to work in the hearts of people he knows would never call upon his name? Would it be a waste of time? Am I praying for the impossible?

“Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly” (Philippians 1:12-14)

Yesterday’s prompting of the Spirit and today’s devotional verses were messages sent straight from heaven. They confirmed for me that nothing—no problems, difficult life circumstances, hindrances or barriers—can limit the power of the gospel. God can use even my own limitations to advance his kingdom. He can make something from nothing, he can do anything, and he often works in surprising ways. It isn’t for me to calculate odds or predict outcomes! I need only to have faith and obey.

The Lord keeps reminding me that he can and will reach those who seem unreachable. Like he confronted Saul of Tarsus, enemy of Christ, who became Paul the Apostle (the man who wrote today’s verses). Nothing is too difficult for my God.

Lord, give me faith the size of a tiny mustard seed. Move the mountains, adjust horizons, in my world today. May your gospel break through barriers like never before. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna