Monday, January 11, 2010

Jon Campbell… Servant (#107 of 365+)

“This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word” (Isaiah 66:2)

Joni shared a memory of her good friend Jon Campbell, who
recently passed away. Although he was president of a prominent media organization and served as a leader and advisor in many prestigious organizations, she said “he delighted in finding lowly, menial tasks with which most people never bothered”. When they were together Jon would find the keys to Joni’s van (she would try to hide them from him), and then he’d slip out “quietly and discreetly” to take it to the car wash.

No matter how busy he was, Jon Campbell made that lowly act of service a priority in his life. How did he get the idea to wash Joni’s van in the first place? I don’t know, but I’m sure it was a result of the Holy Spirit’s prompting. He was familiar with God’s word which repeatedly says to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 19:19; Matthew 22:39; Mark 12:31; Romans 13:9; Galatians 5:14; James 2:8). He probably kept his own car shiny and squeaky clean. I imagine he was moved with compassion the first time he saw Joni’s wheelchair conversion van. It’s her daily chariot to the ministry center and sometimes it takes her to the airport for a long overseas ministry trip. Since the roof is a little high, she can’t quite see out the windows to enjoy the ride. But there is something relaxing about that clean car smell. I know I appreciate it! So, in my humble opinion, what he did for her was exceptionally loving and thoughtful.

Lord Jesus, thank you for becoming flesh and living among us. You literally walked in our shoes! Help me to love my neighbor by following your example... walk a mile in their shoes, ride a mile in their van, etc. May I always remember that I'm serving you whenever I serve anyone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna