Monday, January 4, 2010

Be a Blessing (#100 of 365+)

“I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore… Through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you
have obeyed me” (Genesis 22:17-18)

Even though this promise was meant for Abraham, there are spiritual truths in these words that apply to everyone. First, the reason God blesses me is so I can bless others. Second, if I want evidence that God’s hand of favor is upon me, I should look around. Are others getting blessed through me?

My husband and I recently agreed to step up on our tithes and offerings. We wanted to obey and worship the Lord in this special way, and we wanted to bless our church. But blessings come in many forms besides just finances. We can bless others and be blessed through our relationships as well. Joni said, “Encourage faint-hearted believers, wounded friends, discouraged saints, curious pagans, or questioning onlookers… Point people to the Lord through your unwavering example, perseverance through trials, or spirit of gentleness or gratitude”.

However, like a car can’t run on an empty gas tank or a check can’t be cashed on an overdrawn account, I can’t be a blessing to others through my relationships without first getting to know Jesus Christ. In Joni’s words of wisdom: “To be blessed is to be pushed deeper, higher, and further into the heart of the Savior, so that his comfort and encouragement can be passed on to others”.

Lord, you anointed my head with oil and filled my cup to overflowing. Show me how to communicate your goodness to others today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna