Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The More Necessary Thing (#81 of 365+)

“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire
to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body” (Philippians 1:21-24, emphasis mine)

The apostle Paul was in jail when he wrote those words. Even though he was suffering and was ready to die (because it would be so much easier!) he knew how much the Church needed him to remain alive. His circumstance was setting an example for other believers to boldly share the gospel, and more and more people were putting their faith in Christ every day.

“Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me” (v. 25-26, emphasis mine)

Joni recalled her teen years when her ill grandmother moved in and dramatically changed the family dynamics. Her grandmother probably thought to herself that it would be so much better for everyone involved if she moved on to heaven but God chose to prolong her life for his good reasons. As Joni said, “Sometimes our suffering is mostly for the benefit of others”. Looking back now, Joni clearly sees how God used her grandmother’s suffering to teach the family how to be less self-focused. That tough lesson accomplished much in Joni’s life and ultimately for God’s kingdom—and it will be credited to her grandmother’s account. Imagine her grandmother’s surprise when Jesus Christ rewards her at the Bema Seat judgment for much of Joni’s selfless work!

A wise sister in Christ recently reminded me to pray for God’s will whenever I pray for anything. It is an important act of obedience that will help to mature my walk. God often doesn’t answer my prayers the way I want or when I want because his thoughts are infinitely higher than mine and his purposes far surpass even my greatest expectations! When God doesn’t change a situation after much prayer (like healing an illness, for example) I must remember he isn’t necessarily saying “no” to my request. He’s often waiting for his perfect will to be accomplished during that temporary period of “suffering”… His timing is always perfect!

Even though Jesus Christ knew the great eternal good that would come of his suffering, he still faced the immediate fears of torture and death on the cross. In the Garden of Gethsemane “he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will’” (Matthew 26:39). If the sinless Son of God needed to pray this way to find strength to do what was necessary, then we who are sinful should do so all the more! As Paul said, “The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you” (Romans 8:11 NLT) and “God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” (Philippians 2:13 NLT).

Lord, you promised that I can do everything if I rely on your strength. So I put my trust in you today and every day. May your perfect will be accomplished in me, and may my life bring glory to your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna