Thursday, December 17, 2009

For Your Comfort (#82 of 365+)

Today’s devotional continued with the theme of suffering for the benefit of others. Joni talked about a Christian friend of hers who suffered much from a painful disease and was constantly in and
out of the hospital. By the time she died, her testimony had a powerful impact on several hospital staff members. Some of them didn’t know the Lord, but others who did weren’t walking by faith every day. Joni said as her friend lost her vision and ability to care for herself she “didn’t worry” because she “knew her suffering was for the comfort, encouragement, and salvation of others”.

“For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort” (2 Corinthians 1:5-7)

Joni tells us to remember that, when we’re suffering, someone is always watching. Our perseverance and bold witness can encourage other believers and cause unbelievers to take a second look at our God. My friend reminded me of this verse the other night and it has been stuck in my head ever since: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9)...

Lord Jesus, help me to boast in my weaknesses. May my life become a powerful testimony about YOU! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna