Thursday, December 10, 2009

God Impressions (#75 of 365+)

A few months ago, a dental assistant tried to make an accurate impression of my son’s teeth and gums. They would later pour plaster into the mold to make an exact copy of his mouth. The
dentist needed the impression for diagnostic purposes because my son was going to get braces at his next appointment. He’ll probably need another mold when the braces come off so the retainer will fit into his mouth perfectly.

As I watched the assistant try (repeatedly) to make an accurate impression, I got to know the process and the materials. The “clay” was a mixture of water and a powder extracted from seaweed. Once mixed in a bowl, she used a spatula to pack it into a dental tray. Then she slipped the dental tray into my son’s mouth and pressed down over and around all his teeth, and up against the roof of his mouth. When the mixture had set, she pulled the tray down in front and in the back away from his teeth and then slid it out of his mouth. She had to move quickly during the entire process because the mixture started setting as soon as she mixed it. But the first few impressions weren’t acceptable because they had some air pockets. After enlisting the help of another assistant with a steadier hand, and after a couple more tries because my son had a surprisingly high arched palate, they had the perfect impression.

Joni likes to leave “God impressions” by pressing the “love of Christ up against someone”. She said, “It’s a way of pressing my life up against theirs for a brief moment so that when I peel away… I’ve left a God impression on that person—however brief or fleeting it might have been”.

“Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone” (Colossians 4:5-6 NLT)

Much like my son’s dental impression experience, most opportunities to make God impressions on people are brief and require speed, accuracy, and a steady hand. It takes preparation (and practice) to give an accurate impression of who God is. But, when that perfect impression is made on someone, it will do a beautiful job of leaving behind a void that only God can fill.

Father, thank you for being so patient with me as I keep making mistakes. Fill me full of your love and joy as I prepare for the day ahead. May Christ in me deeply impress the hearts of those around me today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna