Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Adding Muscle to Our Prayers (#74 of 365+)

“When you received the word of God… you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

Joni’s friend Bunny prays powerfully using God’s own words. For example, when the ministry received disappointing news that they had been denied funding for a disabled children project, Bunny prayed with them for God to send the corn, wine, and oil. This was probably in reference to the following bible verses: “So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul—then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil” (Deuteronomy 11:13-14). When she prayed this prayer a stranger overheard and gave her $100. Bunny handed over the money to Joni and declared it the first fruit of the crop of blessings God was going to bring them!

A few years ago I attended a church that held a 24-hour prayer vigil one weekend. Every member was asked to provide prayer “cover” at the church for at least one specific 60-minute time slot. The goal was to have the entire twenty-four hours covered. I signed up for a mid-afternoon hour but didn’t know if anyone else would also sign up for that same hour. So, not wanting to be repetitive in my prayer during that one hour if I was all alone, I printed at least twenty promises from the bible that I could “claim” if I ran out of things to ask for. The 24-hour vigil went smoothly and everyone showed up for their shift early so there wasn’t any gap in prayer. There were four others in the room with me during the hour I signed up for, and we all went around the circle and took turns praying aloud. I decided to use the list of promises I had with me. It really helped me to pray boldly, instead of searching for the right words to say. I was praying God’s own words back to him! After our hour was up and others had already arrived to take over, one of the deacons approached me and thanked me for my prayer. Something I said had an impact on him. I don’t know what it was but I couldn’t take the credit; it had all been God’s own words that I had spoken aloud.

“I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work… For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think. Just as rain and snow descend from the skies and don't go back until they've watered the earth, doing their work of making things grow and blossom, producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry, so will the words that come out of my mouth not come back empty-handed. They'll do the work I sent them to do, they'll complete the assignment I gave them” (Isaiah 55:8-11 MSG; emphasis mine).

There were several other people in our church, including the prayer coordinator and elders, who had long ago learned to pray using God’s own words. Within a couple of weeks after the prayer vigil we learned that God had provided several victories like an increase in decisions for Christ and a number of healings. Intentional, unified corporate prayer within God’s will is always powerful, but praying God’s own words seems to be especially effective. I must remember to do it more often.

Father, thank you for the privilege to speak with you about matters on my mind and in my heart. Holy Spirit help me loosen my grip on earthly things as I remember that my inheritance is in a kingdom not of this world. May I resemble “the man from heaven” more and more every day. In Jesus’ precious name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna