Monday, November 2, 2009

When in Pain (#37 of 365+)

Our extended family is grieving for Kelly, a much loved dog, who died at the age of twelve human years this past Saturday morning. Although she still seemed to be in very good spirits when the
family was around, her body was wracked with tumors, her breathing had become labored, and the simplest things required all of her effort. She had gotten to the point where she was refusing food and not sleeping through the night. Everyone knew by Friday evening that the time had come to ease her pain.

I’ve only been in this family for a little over a year, so that’s the total amount of time that I’ve known Kelly. I stayed behind with the kids as my husband went with his mom, stepdad, sister, and brothers for her last ride to the veterinarian. Besides his mother, my husband was probably the person closest to Kelly. She would brighten up even more than normal whenever he came around the house and would start acting like a puppy again. You could tell they have a lot of good memories together.

Everyone is suffering right now because of her absence. There are the usual doubts about whether they should have waited longer and there are questions of whether they’ll ever see her again. My husband’s heartache is so deep there is nothing I can do.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27)

We have the Comforter, the Holy Spirit from God, who is always with us. We can endure almost anything when we remember he’s experiencing every emotion with us and we’re never alone.

“Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life” (Psalm 119:49-50)

Joni said, “My comfort in my suffering is this: the promise of God’s presence preserves my life. Just knowing he’s ‘with me,’ gives me peace, hope, and comfort. It sees me through.”

Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me peace when I’m in pain. May my family find hope and comfort in you today and every day. Thank you for the promises in your word that help us to keep going. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna