Saturday, November 7, 2009

Send Me (#42 of 365+)

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’” (Isaiah 6:8)

In today’s devotional Joni applauds quick, decisive action and obedience to the Lord. Isaiah was quick to raise his hand and volunteer when he heard God’s call. Abraham was already seventy-five years old when he set out on his adventure with God (Genesis 12:4). Both men clearly heard God’s voice and trusted him well enough that they didn’t think twice.

In the story of Acts 10, God required both Peter and Cornelius to set aside their “need to know” more information and just put their confidence in him. God knew Cornelius, as a Roman military commander, would not willingly send his most trusted men on a mission without understanding its ultimate purpose. So, instead of offering an explanation, God sent an angel to Cornelius with a compliment and excruciatingly detailed information about where to find Peter to ensure success (v. 5, 6). The Holy Spirit also knew Peter would be confused by the apparent contradiction to Jewish law that his obedience would require, so he clearly spoke to him through a vision and told him in advance, “Do not hesitate” (v. 20).

If I hesitate, it means I don’t have enough positive signs or information to propel me into action. I ask myself: What have I second-guessed God about lately? Have I been unwilling or reluctant to obey him because I want to make a fully-informed decision? Have I delayed God’s purposes with my disobedience?

Lord, I want to trust and obey when you say “Go.” Please help my unbelief. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna