Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quality and Quantity (#43 of 365+)

Jesus’ first public miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding party (John 2). In today’s devotional Joni said, “This wasn’t the plain label stuff” and one 30-gallon jar “would have
been plenty…but Jesus did six”. Quoting Kay Arthur she said, “That is the way Jesus does things”, with both highest quality and quantity.

“I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (NIV). The Message translation says, “I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.”

When I prayed the prayer of salvation in February 1986 it was because a Christian used God’s word to communicate to me the reality of God’s love and his free gift of eternal life. I didn’t have a deep theological understanding of Christ’s sacrifice in context of Old Testament history. Nor did I need to. In an instant the Lord honored my simple prayer by saving me from sin and sending his Holy Spirit to dwell within me. He did more with my little seed of faith, and still is today, than I could have initially hoped for. That’s just how merciful and loving our God is. And I will be forever grateful.

Lord, you give the best gifts! Your answers to my prayers are always better and more than I could ever think of asking for. My heart spills over with thankfulness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna