Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remember Them! (#46 of 365+)

Today is Veterans’ Day...

There’s a special place in my heart reserved for veterans and all
former and current members of our military. My father served in the U.S. Army for over 20 years and although he was never sent into a combat situation he was raised by a group of people we call “The Greatest Generation”. He would entertain me with countless stories about his upbringing in rural America and his experience at boot camp. Every story made me yearn for a time when life was simpler, everyone knew how to sing four-part harmony, and a spoken promise was as good as gold. I credit his stories with instilling in me a deep sense of patriotism.

Just the thought of the current war on terror (which is a war between worldviews, and a spiritual war as well) makes my heart swell up into my throat on days like today. There’s so much at stake and our men and women in uniform are willing to pay the ultimate price for freedom. As Joni said, “Their sacrifices mean something—their courage has opened paths for freedom and, with that, paths for the gospel.”

Solomon prayed to God for the soldiers of his day by saying: “When your people go to war against their enemies, wherever you send them, and when they pray to you toward this city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name, then hear from heaven their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause” (2 Chronicles 6:34-35).

Lord, may your will be accomplished in our country as we fight against terrorism. Protect us from attacks, especially those directed at our minds, hearts, and souls. Give the leaders within our government and military true wisdom and foresight. Comfort and encourage the families of our brave soldiers today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna