Thursday, November 12, 2009

Caribbean Pines (#47 of 365+)

God is reinforcing the lesson I received from the “Crowded to Christ” devotional two days ago when I wrote, “…every test of faith is also a test of God’s faithfulness [and] an invitation to
strengthen my faith and receive more of God’s blessings into my life. Although he may not eliminate the trial in my life [just] feeling his peace in the midst of my turmoil is a miracle in itself.”

Joni said, “Caribbean Pines routinely withstand long periods of drought, fire, and they hold their own against the fiercest of hurricanes… When they are protected, planted in a yard and given water and fertilizer, they often die.” She went on to say, “We are like Caribbean Pines. Our souls usually don’t thrive during good times. Our hearts grow complacent, our need of God becomes less urgent, our hope of heaven dims, and our prayer life often dries up… It seems we need an occasional blast of storm or fiery trial, if our faith is to mature.”

The following song lyrics further reinforce this lesson: “He is jealous for me/Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree/Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy/When all of a sudden/I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory/And I realize just how beautiful You are/And how great Your affections are for me/And oh, how He loves us so/Oh how He loves us/How He loves us all” (How He Loves by David Crowder Band).

Lord, I know sometimes I can be completely oblivious. Thank you for breaking through to me on those days with your fierce love. May I continue to see with my spiritual eyes today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna