Friday, November 20, 2009

Remember (#55 of 365+)

In today’s devotional Joni said, “Emotions are one of the least reliable yet influential forces in our lives… When hardship settles in, dark and brooding emotions can surge over us in a tide of
doubt and fear. The only sure dike against a flood of glum feelings is to remember”.

“Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced… He allowed no one to oppress [his anointed]… The LORD made his people very fruitful… He brought out Israel, laden with silver and gold… He spread out a cloud as a covering, and a fire to give light at night… He… satisfied them with the bread of heaven. He opened the rock, and water gushed out… He remembered his holy promise given to his servant Abraham… Praise the LORD” (Psalm 105:5, 14, 24, 37, 39, 40-42, 45)

“I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds” (Psalm 77:12)

A couple of months ago while at a worldview conference, I purchased J. P. Moreland’s CD set about battling anxiety and depression. I listened to it for the second time yesterday. Dr. Moreland recommends a scripturally (and scientifically) sound method of meditation that will effectively change one’s negative thinking and emotional patterns. One crucial part of his method is to recall or to remember an emotion associated with a specific occasion in the past in which you experienced “compassion, forgiveness, appreciation or non-judgmentalism”. A two-part post about his method is available here.

"Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love" (Psalm 48:9)

I’d like to add another effective method of remembering the good times. Besides treasuring them in your own heart and mind, share the stories with others!

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders” (Psalm 9:1)

“We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done” (Psalm 78:4)

“It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me” (Daniel 4:2)

“The whole assembly became silent as they listened to Barnabas and Paul telling about the miraculous signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them” (Acts 15:12)

Lord, thank you for your numerous miracles and wonders in my life and the lives of countless others throughout the ages. May those good memories push aside the negative thoughts that tend to creep into my mind. Show me opportunities to share my personal testimony with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna