Thursday, November 19, 2009

In Everything... for Everything (#54 of 365+)

“Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Since I find God faithful in both good and bad situations, giving thanks to him for being there
and bringing me through is easy to do. But Paul wrote another verse that challenges me to take it to the next level of thankfulness:

“Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 5:19-20).

As Joni said, “We segregate God from the suffering he allows, as though a [bad thing] merely ‘happens’, and God shows up after the fact… But today’s verse underscores the supreme sovereignty of God over all suffering.” I see this as saying that God not only allows it, but in some cases he helps bring on the suffering.

Since Joni continued on to explain that Paul “never considered his circumstances as tragic”, I decided to look up some examples of Paul’s tragic days. These are the kind of situations he says I should thank God for. In his own words he was:
• in prison, frequently
• flogged, severely
• exposed to death, again and again
• whipped, forty lashes minus one, five times
• beaten with rods, three times
• stoned, once
• shipwrecked, three times
• in the open sea, a night and a day
• on the move, constantly
• in danger from rivers
• in danger from bandits
• in danger from his own countrymen
• in danger from Gentiles
• in danger in the city
• in danger in the country
• in danger at sea
• in danger from false brothers
And, as though those things weren’t bad enough, he went on to say, “I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches” (2 Corinthians 11:27-28).

These situations didn’t just happen to Paul. God allowed all of them, and in some situations even orchestrated them, for the higher purposes of his kingdom. Although it might look like unnecessary cruelty on the surface, Paul personally knew that God was merciful, loving, kind, wise, and just. I imagine he submitted to God’s will and took every detour with grace, all the while seizing every opportunity to share the good news (even as he was in the middle of receiving more bad news!).

Father, thank you for everything. Help me to have the attitude of Christ that was so evident in Paul’s life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna