Monday, November 16, 2009

God’s Got Reasons (#51 of 365+)

Remember yesterday’s devotional? Joni lost her spoon again. This time, she was on a mission trip through Africa. She earnestly prayed for God to show her where the spoon was but he “was
quiet on the subject”. Midway through their trip, everyone else began getting sick and running to the restroom. Joni began being “doubly cautious” with food and water at this point. She was a quadriplegic and wouldn’t be able to run to the bathroom if she got sick. Towards the end of the trip God spoke to her the following words: “Joni, you lost your spoon because it was contaminated. Had you used it, you would have become sick.”

“But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you” (Psalm 5:11)

I pray for the Lord’s protection all the time without having any idea how often every day he’s providing for precisely that. In the highway of life I tend to get frustrated when I’m slowed down by a traffic jam. What I don’t always realize is that car accident up ahead could have involved me too if I hadn’t been delayed by another event like my boss’s phone call, a faulty alarm clock, etc. Let the rubberneckers gawk (at me) all they want to. I have every reason to be singing at the top of my lungs. Note to self: Keep the car windows rolled all the way up!

“Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 MSG)

Lord, once again I thank you for lovingly watching over every detail of my life. Although I’ve made plans for today I know the day belongs to you. May I remember this lesson and be truly thankful if I encounter an inconvenient situation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna