Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hearts Fully Committed (#28 of 365+)

Recently I overheard a conversation between two of my fellow managers at work. One of the men had just received a text message from his wife. She was going over to a friend’s house for
breakfast and it was a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. She just found out her friend’s husband never came home the previous night so she wanted to be there for emotional support.

That manager’s wife showed her commitment to her friend by her willingness to put everything on hold for her. She also showed her commitment to her husband by the way she communicated well with him. She didn’t have to tell him what she was about to do. Her husband doesn’t demand to know where she is every waking moment. But it is important to keep him in the loop about what she is doing, planning, thinking, and feeling. It helps make their bond even stronger.

Her friend’s husband, however, wasn’t showing a full commitment to his marriage or his family. When he spent time with them he seemed detached as if his focus was elsewhere. The previous night he had gone out for drinks without letting his wife know of his plans. He stayed out past sunrise and never called or answered his phone. His most recent actions confirmed his wife’s worst fears. He was either having an affair or in danger of starting one soon.

Today’s devotional verse is, "For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him" (2 Chronicles 16:9). Joni said, “Of all the places in the earth, God has his eyes on you. He desires to strengthen the hearts of those who are fully committed to him”. As I look at the examples of the manager’s wife and the friend’s husband, I’ll try to answer the questions Joni asked:

How can I demonstrate to the Lord today that he has my undivided heart? By being prayerful (communicating well) all day, telling him what’s on my heart and mind, and listening for his voice. I need to keep my focus on him during the time I’ve set aside for devotionals because I’m often tempted to check my email or bank accounts when I’m online.

Is there anything hindering me from being fully committed to Christ? I could try to blame everyone and everything around me but there aren’t any excuses because I’m ultimately responsible for my decisions. Instead of trying to keep one foot in this world and the other in the next one I need to put all of me into Christ. I know my marriage, my family, my job, and everything else will benefit as a result. And even when difficult situations arise in any area of my life “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).

Lord, thank you for always being fully committed to me. Teach me to love like you do as I focus on our relationship at the beginning of every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna