Monday, October 26, 2009

Eyes... Blind or Open? (#30 of 365+)

My beloved husband and I had a little disagreement last night. OK, maybe it was a big disagreement because I cried so much I woke up this morning with a splitting headache. Without getting
into details I became upset about something I believed to be absolutely true, without a doubt, no need to consult anyone because I was definitely right. So imagine my surprise when my husband expressed his concern that the real reason I was upset was because I believed a lie! We didn’t reach an agreement (we went out for milkshakes instead) but my husband asked me to think about it for the next few days. Although I still think I’m right, I respect my husband dearly (and he’s often right about things) so I’ll give it time and pray about it.

Joni selected several verses about spiritual sight and blindness for today’s devotional: “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God” (2 Corinthians 4:4-5). “I pray… that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you” (Ephesians 1:18-19). And my favorite: "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:4-5). The serpent in the garden told Eve her eyes would be opened if she’d just believe him. The truth was that she would become blind to spiritual things when she stopped believing God. Our adversary still whispers lies into our ears that sound like truths. He loathes us and wants to at least impede our progress if not completely destroy our testimonies.

My family has been experiencing gradual increases in the enemy’s hostility in the past few months. We’ve had a couple of car accidents, a few flat tires, several unexpected expenses... Our son is having internal struggles and requires counseling… Now my husband says I may have been duped by one of the devil’s subtle lies… For some reason we’re on the enemy’s radar, so we must be doing something right. Please pray for us! “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood” (Ephesians 6:11-12)

Lord, I pray for protection for my entire family. Guard our hearts with your truth. Embolden us with your presence and your word. Give us the victory today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna