Sunday, September 26, 2010

Prayer Dogs (#365 of 365+)

“Then Jesus asked them, ‘Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?’ But they remained silent. He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, ‘Stretch out your hand.’ He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored” (Mark 3:4-5)

Joni talked about the time when one of the staff members of a prayer center was uncomfortable with the presence of a visiting disabilities group. He didn’t agree with the fact that two blind people needed their guide dogs to remain with them, even as they sat in the prayer room. He said, “I’m concerned that having a dog in the room would grieve the Holy Spirit.” He tried, to no avail, to have those dogs removed.

In what ways do I focus on externals so much that I end up hurting a human soul in the process?

How have I been so absorbed with the letter of the law lately that I’ve neglected to love my neighbor as God intended?

“You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God’s Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment—the absolute basics!—you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required. Do you have any idea how silly you look, writing a life story that’s wrong from start to finish, nitpicking over commas and semicolons?” (Matthew 23:23-24 MSG)

Father God, thank you for speaking to me in countless ways over the past 365 days through your Word and through the teachings of Joni Eareckson Tada, my sister in Christ. I pray that you’ll richly bless Joni’s ministry and her marriage... Help me to faithfully live on the outside what I’ve learned on the inside. With your Holy Spirit’s help, I know that I can do all things. In the coming year, may I love mercy, fight injustice, and bring glory to your name… even if it means I won’t have much time to blog about it. Continually draw my family closer to you and to each other every single day. Protect us all as we go about our lives, doing your will. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna