Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Good Kind of Anger (#340 of 365+)

“You’ve dropped me into a bottomless pit, sunk me in a pitch-black abyss. I’m battered senseless by your rage, relentlessly pounded by your waves of anger… I’m standing my ground, God, shouting for help, at my prayers every
morning, on my knees each daybreak. Why, God, do you turn a deaf ear? Why do you make yourself scarce? For as long as I remember I’ve been hurting; I’ve taken the worst you can hand out, and I’ve had it” (Psalm 88:6-7, 13-15 MSG)

Joni is one person who definitely knows what it’s like to feel extreme emotions like a “bottomless pit” of despair or “waves of anger.” I remember reading in an earlier devotional that when she was first paralyzed and still in the hospital she tried all night to twist and break her neck because she wanted to die. But she finally embraced God’s will for her life and today, many decades later, she has developed incredible wisdom about how the Lord uses our anger. She said, “Anger often reveals whether we are moving toward the Almighty or away from him.”

My teenage son has become a 140-pound ball of anger. Some of it’s because of rejection from peers, rejection from his biological father, raging hormones, and dealing with Type I Diabetes. He’s been acting out by behaving irresponsibly and—what’s worse—by lying to my husband and I. Just yesterday I talked to my son about the choices he’s made recently. I explained that although I believe in the security of the believer there are many Christians who believe that one’s salvation can be lost forever. Their primary argument is it’s their choice and, speaking theoretically, it’s possible that they could change their mind about it. And God would never force anyone to spend eternity with him if he or she didn’t want to, right?

I don’t subscribe to the view that salvation can be lost but I told my son he needs to think about what he believes and the immediate and eternal consequences of his actions. Anger isn’t sinful by itself; what matters is what you do with your anger. Instead of pushing away everyone who loves him he needs to be brutally honest and confront God like the psalmist did. It will bring him closer to God and help him heal faster.

“Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don’t use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don’t stay angry. Don’t go to bed angry. Don’t give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life” (Ephesians 4:26-27 MSG)

Lord, help my son to be completely honest about every area of his life. Touch his heart in a very special way today. May he come through this dark hour very soon and ultimately grow up into an incredible man of faith. Thank you for my husband who has been a consistent example of righteousness for our family. May he flourish in everything he does. Help our family’s love to grow in leaps and bounds in the coming weeks. May we be reverently aware of your Spirit’s presence in our home. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I pray for your son as I do for mine. It makes me so happy to read your comments about how he is 'a consistent example of righteousness'! You WILL be reading that about your son one day. I love you - you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna