Sunday, August 1, 2010

Peculiar People (#309 of 365+)

“Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us… and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good
works” (Titus 2:13-14 KJV)

Notice how he described believers: “A peculiar people, zealous of good works.”

I guess you could say I thrive on being a “peculiar” person. I’m a Christian woman who is passionate about doing good things for others. I prefer to do things quietly so I don’t draw attention to myself. But as much as I enjoy giving to my church—whether it’s by tithing, taking a meal to a family, teaching a class, or going above and beyond to help someone in need—I know that there’s always the danger of burning out. Service could easily become a chore, a dreaded task, or another item on my lengthy To-Do list.

I’ve learned the best way to avoid losing a passion for service is to:
1) Don’t over-commit.
2) Don’t keep mental accounts.

In regards to #2, I don’t want to keep a running total of all the money I’ve spent or the time I’ve devoted to a ministry or to a cause. If I do that, eventually there will come a day when I will fear that I’ve given away too much. But when I rely on the Holy Spirit to equip and empower me for service, I’m drawing from a wellspring that will never run dry.

The early Christians impacted their world for Christ in the way they did because of their dependence upon the Holy Spirit. They were able to face painful and horrible deaths seemingly without any fear. They were definitely “peculiar” and “zealous” people. But that’s what people of faith look like. We’re different because we’ve been set apart for a holy purpose. We’re passionate because we’ve been freed from the bonds of sin and death. We’re fearless and we hold on to this life loosely because we know we’re safe and secure in the Lord’s hands and he will never let go of us…

“Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open.” ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Lord, the Giver of Life, thank you for every spiritual and physical blessing in my life. May I always be satisfied with what I receive from your hand, eager to do good things for others, and content with being a stranger in this world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna