Thursday, August 5, 2010

It Came to Pass (#313 of 365+)

“But it came to pass within a while after…” (Judges 15:1 KJV)

Joni once asked a Christian woman in Ghana what her favorite Bible verse was. She was surprised when the African sister answered that she loved
every one of the many scripture verses that say, “It came to pass.”

If we’re running low on groceries, I simply go to the grocery store around the corner and buy something. I can usually prepare and cook a family-size meal within an hour. When I’m in the mood to let someone else do the cooking I’ll buy microwavable meals, pick up some “fast food,” or buy pre-packaged ready-to-eat meals. Food is available anytime, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week in this country. We’re blessed to always have enough money when we want—or “need”—to buy something. Even my teen son has his own debit card now that he has a checking account and a job. I have no real concept of what it’s like to depend on a harvest to feed my family for an entire year. I don’t know what it’s like to find out the crop, the only source of food for our community, has failed due to severe weather. I’ve never experienced a famine or a drought in the land, much less any prolonged period of hunger or thirst that wasn’t under my control. I don’t really and truly understand what it’s like to trust in God completely in the midst of such hopelessness and misery. I just don’t…

But that humble yet powerful godly woman told Joni how she had learned first-hand that the Lord would always see her all the way through dark and dismal situations until they’re over. That’s why she so loved the verses that highlight the temporary nature of our problems.

“And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you” (1 Peter 5:10)

“For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all” (2 Corinthians 4:17)

Father, thank you that my family doesn’t want for very much at all. I hope we will always remain grateful and satisfied, even if we ever experience another Great Depression in this country (or worse). Help us to never complain or steal but to conduct ourselves in a manner that will bring glory to your name. Bring today’s verse to mind when we need to remember it. Teach us how to give joyfully from the heart. Thank you for all the spiritual riches you’ve already given us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna