Sunday, August 29, 2010

He Carried Our Sorrows (#337 of 365+)

“Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows…” (Isaiah 53:4)

As I said yesterday, we can take Isaiah 53 as truth. This part of the chapter prophesies about a suffering servant of God who, to Christians, is
undeniably Jesus Christ. Isaiah said the Lord shouldered “our sorrows.” Whenever I read that verse, I think of the scene when Jesus struggled to carry that heavy wooden cross. The flesh on his back was ripped to shreds and the crown of thorns made blood run into his eyes and blur his vision. Yet, as Joni said, “He persevered.”

Because Jesus carried my sorrows all the way to the grave, and left them there when he came back to life, he triumphed over every pain I’ll ever feel and every tear I’ll ever cry. Even though I still feel pain and cry tears I’m not doing it anymore as a person who is without hope. The sorrows of my heart are now mixed with a deep everlasting joy because it’s only temporary. One day very soon God will finally resolve the problem.

“He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:4)

The apostle Paul described Christians as people who are “sorrowful, yet always rejoicing” (2 Corinthians 6:10) or, as another translation says, “immersed in tears, yet always filled with deep joy” (MSG).

“Our hearts ache, but we always have joy” (2 Corinthians 6:10 NLT)

Lord, when my heart aches may I always feel the comforting warmth of your love and joy in my heart. When my eyes blur over with tears may I look up to the sky and remember your promise to return and make everything right again. Help me to laugh through the pain and give me the strength to persevere with honor the way you did. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna