Monday, July 26, 2010

Beach Towels and Hymns (#303 of 365+)

“But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you” (Psalm 5:11)


I have this incredible yearning to get away from the city for a few days and get back to nature. I want to go where I can see the stars better at night. Somewhere with tall shade trees, cool streams, and fresh mountain air. The summer is almost over and we haven’t had a road trip or any kind of family “vacation” in several months. I think the respite would be really good for our souls.

Today Joni spoke of another childhood memory when she and her family were on the beach around a bonfire, singing hymns and listening to her father’s stories as they gazed up at the starry summer sky. She said she remembers feeling so “safe, secure, and significant.” As she listened to the sounds of the foamy surf it was as though the Lord was “breathing a sigh with each wave.”

Being out there in the middle of God’s beautiful creation makes it easy and natural for our souls to worship our Creator. Oh, how I long to shed these restraints—like my cell phone and my laptop—so I can run wild and free for a few days!!

“He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron” (Psalm 107:14-16)

Lord, the beauty of your creation takes my breath away and reminds me of who you really are. You know how much I desire to be in nature right now. I ask for you to grant me favor so I will be allowed to take some quality time off in the next few weeks before summer vacation is over. I also ask that you will provide the way and the means for us to spend quality family time together out in nature, away from the city and the noise. You’re probably already setting the wheels into motion to give us something even better than what I’ve asked for. Thank you for answering my prayer. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna