Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Spirit of Humility (#243 of 365+)

“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor” (James 4:10 NLT)

Jesus Christ paid the price for my redemption that I could never
have paid in a bazillion years and I’m extremely thankful for that. God’s grace is completely free and he wants me to enjoy life… yet I know I’ll always feel indebted to the Giver of such a costly gift. You see, I’m not a godly woman. I still sin quite often and when I do the Holy Spirit gently reminds me of the One I’ve sinned against. It breaks my heart that I can’t live right for even one day in honor of the Savior who laid down his life for mine…

“For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing” (Romans 7:19)

To know that I’m nothing like the Lord is humbling. There’s no room for the pompous, self-righteousness that much of the world sees in those who profess to be Christ-followers. As Joni said, “Pride always blows our cover… Never was there a character trait more opposite of God.”

Lord, help me be open to criticism and honest about my faults. Use my loved ones to point out my “blind spots” to me. I don’t want to take the credit for anything good someone else might see in me because it’s all you... May my inadequacies bring glory to You, my Prince of Peace, the Savior of my soul. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna