Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Heaven’s Incentives (#228 of 365+)

It isn’t that I expect payment or recognition for every little thing I do, but sometimes I feel underappreciated. It sure would be nice to hear a “thank you” or a “well done” more often than I do.


I used to think those kinds of feelings were selfish and harmful, that I was better off not dwelling too much on them… until today. After reading Joni’s devotional and today’s verses I now realize the desire for appreciation isn’t sin if it was hard-coded into me by my Maker.

“The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor” (1Corinthians 3:8)

Here’s a revelation: We humans work, but not like robots do. We crave the fulfillment that often comes from our accomplishments. Even though fulfillment can be achieved through channels like money (a salary or a bonus) or awards (an Oscar or a Nobel Peace Prize), there’s nothing like working for our Creator. He knows what we need and he has promised believers that we will ultimately receive a great reward for all our hard work.

“In my Father's house are many rooms” (John 14:2)

Yet I know when I see his face I’ll forget all about any expectation of mansions or crowns…

“They lay their crowns before the throne and say: ‘You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power’” (Revelation 4:10-11)

Joni said, “Our reward will be our capacity for joy, service, and worship.” In other words, the harder we work for God here on earth the better the experience of Heaven will be. Our eyes will see the fruit of our labor. I hope mine is a bountiful crop (and not just a shriveled raisin)!

“So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow” (1 Corinthians 3:7)

Lord, thank you for caring enough to give us the “incentive” to keep going forward even when the going gets tough. You are worthy of all glory and it’s an honor and a joy to serve you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna