Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Truth about Suffering (#161 of 365+)

“For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him” (Philippians 1:29)

Modern day Christians in America may not yet be able to relate to
this but, for the past two millennia, believers in Christ around the world have suffered dearly for the gospel of the kingdom. Even the apostle Paul who wrote today’s focal scripture verse suffered in many ways for his faith including frequent imprisonment and, ultimately, execution.

The apostle Peter was himself crucified upside-down for his beliefs. His own words to believers while he was alive: “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps” (1 Peter 2:21).

As difficult as it may be to digest, suffering is part of a Christian’s calling... but not just suffering in the form of religious persecution. In today’s devotional Joni referred to “hurt, pain, disappointment, or affliction” as other ways I could suffer. The important thing to remember is that God doesn’t send random and unrestricted hailstorms of hardship. God is always sovereign. He is in complete control of the specifics. Anything that may happen to me always serves his purposes, and I know he loves me dearly, so I can have complete confidence in his plan for my life.

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you” (1 Peter 4:12)

Lord, I place my hurt, pain, disappointment, affliction, and hardships under your sovereign care. I trust you and believe you know what’s best. Thank you for always being available as my shelter and source of strength. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna