Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Through and Through (#143 of 365+)

“Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin” (Psalm 51:2 KJV)

As Joni pointed out, the spelling of the word “throughly” isn’t a
typo. The word simply doesn’t exist in modern English anymore—but it used to mean “through and through”. The psalmist clearly recognized his need for a complete detail, and not just a surface scrubbing, of his entire being from the scourge of sin.

“May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Paul wrote a letter to new believers in Thessalonica after he received a status update. He had been concerned about their sanctification and feared the seed of faith may not have taken root. As he wrote, “I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless” (1 Thessalonians 3:5). But Timothy had returned from there with mostly good news so Paul encouraged them to be sanctified
“through and through”. Since the word sanctify means to set aside a vessel for a holy purpose, he was telling them to respect their bodies (1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4) because they were sanctified vessels of the Holy Spirit (v.8). He also mentioned when someone experiences grace he shouldn’t disrespect the Savior by continuing to live as if he didn’t know him (v.5). Surely such a powerful experience with the Living Lord would result in an external transformation as well as an internal one. Right?

“For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life” (1 Thessalonians 4:7).

Father, thank you for your incredible love and grace. May I always remember that I’m never alone because you are with me and I’m not my own because the precious blood of Jesus Christ paid for my ransom. Help me to reject thoughts that aren’t worthy of being in your presence and use me for your kingdom purposes. Give me the victory over the world, the flesh, and the enemy today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna