Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Stand Firm, Ladies (#129 of 365+)

“Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends! I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree
with each other in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life” (Philippians 4:1-3)

Every Christian congregation has faced the same issue the Philippian church faced. Two members had such a deep-seated disagreement that news of it reached Paul in prison. So Paul wrote to the church he sincerely loved and cherished. He admonished everyone to “stand firm” and then emphasized a spirit of unity by following with the words “in the Lord”. He also submitted an earnest plea to Euodia and Syntyche to find agreement “in the Lord”. It was time to heal hearts, lay aside the petty matter that divided them, and recommit to the ministry of reconciliation. Paul waxed nostalgic as he recalled a time when those two strong-willed women fought alongside him for the gospel’s sake. He also reminded them their names were “in the book of life”, Heaven’s official citizen registry. How could a civil dispute in the earthly city of Philippi matter when they had full rights to the heavenly City of God?

One of my favorite organizations, the Christian Research Institute, adheres to the motto: "In essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, and in all things charity". As the Body of Christ guards against viral teachings from without we must remember to also nurture those relationships that are within. It’s of no use to the kingdom if minds are sharpened but hearts are shattered or scarred. In another letter the apostle Peter described a predator that “prowls around” in churches just waiting to pounce (1 Peter 5:8). In my mind I picture the lion on Animal Planet, picking off vulnerable gazelles that are weak, injured, or separated from the herd. That’s what it looks like in the spiritual realm when church infighting occurs! Paul urged the Philippian believers to turn their focus outward, “shine like stars in the universe”, and “hold out the word of life” (Philippians 2:15). By standing together and standing firm “in the Lord” they would capture the attention of a dark and dying world for Jesus.

Father, I want to be an effective minister of reconciliation. Make me less argumentative and more heart-sensitive. May the life of the Spirit within my church light the way so the lost will find salvation in your Son. In Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna