Thursday, February 25, 2010

O Love That Won’t Let Go (#152 of 365+)

“God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid’…” (Hebrews 13:5-6)


When I read that verse I focused on the words “the Lord is my helper”. I’m the only sibling of an adult woman with severe autism, other mental issues, and epilepsy. The word “helper” sounds to me like a caregiver, or a person who helps a helpless or incapable person. So that means the Lord is more than simply with me; he is doing what I can’t do. I’d be lost in the dark without him! Here are some lyrics to an older Steven Curtis Chapman song I hadn’t heard in years, until this morning:

“I am the heart, He is the heartbeat/I am the eyes, He is the sight/And I see clearly, I am just a body/He is the life”

Joni said, “Jesus has promised never to fail us, never to leave us, never to let us go. But there are times when we need the warm touch of a fellow traveler along the sometimes difficult path of life”. She told the story of Melanie, a pastor’s wife and a mother to very small children, who is slowing losing her sight. As a close friend Joni wrote, “I’ll tell you what: I’ll keep being your eyes, and you keep being my hands. And Jesus will keep holding us with his grace… his love will not let us go”.

Lord, help me be your touch, your smile, your comfort, your word of encouragement and hope to someone in a very dark place today. Even if it’s just a hug or a text, may someone know through my actions that your love will never let go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna