Monday, February 22, 2010

Music in the Dark (#149 of 365+)

“By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me” (Psalm 42:8)

Joni told a great story from a pastor’s conference she once
attended. Blind musicians were onstage playing for the audience when thunder and lightning struck—and all the lights in the hall went out. The musicians kept playing through the dark. When their song was over, tremendous applause and praise erupted all over the place. God gave the audience insight into the life of a blind believer. The darkness had no impact; they continued to play the music they knew by heart. In the same way, every believer can continue practicing what we’ve learned from God even though we’re in the dark. As Joni said, “Keep playing the music, friend. It may be dark out, but keep playing by heart what you know from years of practice. It’s worth the applause of God”.

“Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD… For you are their glory and strength” (Psalm 89:15, 17)

Last night I took a drive around the neighborhood. I had to get alone for a little while so I could have a private (and noisy) prayer time with the Lord. I needed his blessing on something I lacked the confidence to do—because I was afraid I’d fail. I came home exhausted but at peace. It’s difficult to describe in words but it was as if the Lord told me to do what I know he wants, to pursue goals that are “true… noble… right… pure… lovely… admirable… excellent… and praiseworthy” (Philippians 4:8). I’m not to judge visible outcomes in terms of success or failure. The Lord will bless those ventures in ways I won’t immediately know about.

“Keep playing the music… keep playing by heart what you know” is right…

Lord, I’m going to play it by heart today. Bless my efforts and, if it would be within your will, please grant us favor in the matter I asked about last night. Thank you for hearing my prayers, caring for my needs, and lifting my burdens. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna