Thursday, February 18, 2010

Insults (#145 of 365+)

“That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults… For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:10)

That was Paul’s very next statement after explaining why God
hadn’t taken away that pesky thorn in the flesh. As he said earlier, “But [the Lord] said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (v.9)

The Rolling Stones had a hit song called (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. When I took a close look at the lyrics they seemed to scream of dissatisfaction with three different areas of life, all of which are evidences of a soul hungry for a relationship with God:

Dissatisfaction with entertainment.
“When I'm drivin' in my car/and a man comes on the radio/he's tellin' me more and more/about some useless information/supposed to fire my imagination”
The man wanted passion, purpose, and meaning. Nothing seemed to fire up his imagination.

Dissatisfaction with consumerism.
“When I'm watchin' my TV/and a man comes on to tell me/how white my shirts can be/Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke/the same cigarettes as me”
The man wanted respect and dignity. Buying or using a product made him feel better, but it was only temporary.

Dissatisfaction with self.
When I'm ridin' round the world/and I'm doin' this and I'm signing that/and I'm tryin' to make some girl/who tells me baby better come back later next week/'cause you see I'm on losing streak”
The man wanted all his hard work to achieve something of value. He wanted success. But it seemed the universe was against him and he couldn’t do enough no matter how hard he tried.

I think the man’s cynicism resonates with just about everyone. Although the Rolling Stones probably didn't think much about God or their soul-hunger while writing that song, the lyrics (“and I try and I try and I try and I try”) cry out that nothing within themselves or in this world can satisfy. When I look at myself in the mirror I see a deeply flawed person. And, as if that’s not enough for me to call it quits, I’m constantly making mistakes and encountering problems. But in his great love God went to great lengths to make things right. He took care of everything and accepts me as I am. The pressure is off; I don’t have to try to prove anything anymore! I can finally find satisfaction in a relationship with the Living Lord.

“Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing” (Philippians 2:5-7).

In the King James Version the verse says Jesus “made himself of no reputation”. The King of Kings didn’t need mankind to agree to his purpose, add value to his existence, or give him respect. Their assessment of him didn’t make one iota of difference. He was, is, and always will be the eternal “I Am” (Exodus 3:14).

“When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly” (1 Peter 2:23)

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20)

Joni made the claim that believers can have the same attitude towards those who insult them as Christ had. How? By remembering God’s grace and yielding to the Holy Spirit. Our identity and meaning are completely wrapped up in him now, not in what others say or do. She challenged her readers to do the following, “If someone misreads or misrepresents you today, don’t retaliate. Rest your confidence in Christ. Who knows? You may find yourself taking pleasure in the reproach”.

Lord, thank you for giving my life value, purpose, and meaning. You are the only one who can truly satisfy my soul. Help me to forgive as easily as you forgave me. Make me so generous that I pay back evil with good. If I am to defend anything at all, let it be an intelligent defense of the gospel. Please bring forth lots of fruit from my life. I yield to your Holy Spirit today. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna