Saturday, February 20, 2010

He Loves Me (#147 of 365+)

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20)


Joni loves this verse because, rather than the large brushstroke of God’s love for the world painted by John 3:16, it shows how “Jesus died specifically for [my sins]… The stripes on Christ’s back are about his love for me”.

Prior to his arrest, Jesus explained his willingness to die for everyone because “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). Since I am one person he died for, Jesus was saying he loves me and considers me to be his friend. That’s amazing… The Son of God calls me his friend! It shows his great big heart and how he wants to be loved in return.

“Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25, emphasis mine)

Lord, thank you for loving me and every individual who lives on the earth in a very real and personal way. A love like that requires a thoughtful response. You deserve my whole heart and mind and so much more. Show me how I can properly love you back. All the glory, praise, and honor on earth and in heaven belong to you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna