Sunday, January 24, 2010

Questionable Motives (#120 of 365+)

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's
house, then the LORD will be my God” (Genesis 28:20-21)

In today’s devotional, Joni asked, “How would you describe your motives for drawing close to God?”

Personally, I started having these daily devotionals so God’s word would prevent me from going off in the wrong direction. How did I know this was what I needed? Well, because one of the first scripture verses I ever memorized was “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105 KJV). However, about today’s theme of questionable motives, sometimes I wonder how my prayers must sound to God. My heart is full of ulterior motives and my mind is constantly doing the vocal exercise “me, me, meeee”. Is my thanksgiving and praise half-hearted, simply a necessary practice or formality prior to presenting my big long list of petitions?

Joni said we can’t charm God with sweet-talk and he’ll never be shocked or surprised by anything we do because he sees directly into our hearts. She recalled the story of the Prodigal Son. The son had blown his entire inheritance and was living in poverty. He finally returned home not out of love for his father but for all the benefits of being a part of his father’s household. All he could think about was basic needs like food and shelter. He probably rehearsed his lines a thousand times—pleading that his father would accept him as a mere servant. However, even though his father knew the son’s true motives for returning, he didn’t seem to care about that. All he wanted was for his son to come home! He waited expectantly every day, perhaps for years, until one day he saw a familiar-looking homeless man coming down the dirt road. Even though he couldn’t quite read the words on the cardboard sign hanging from his neck (it said “Will Work For Food”) even at that distance he recognized his son’s unique mannerisms… and so he sent his servants into a frenzy to set up the biggest “welcome home” party they could throw together at the last minute. Joni said, in much the same way, “The miracle is [God] invites us to come to him—even if for all the wrong reasons. You’ll find he’ll purify those motives of yours, once you are in his embrace”.

Father, even though you know my motives and you’re familiar with all my ways you still invite me to be close to you. Thank you for your tender and warm thoughts towards me. Everything you do in my life is a miracle. May I learn to seek your embrace before, and not only after, troubles come into my life. I love you, Lord! Amen…

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna