Saturday, January 30, 2010

Exposing Hidden Idols (#126 of 365+)

The Israelites escaped generations of bondage in a land that worshipped hundreds of gods. They had witnessed so many miracles and plagues one would think they could never forget
they worshipped the one true God. The experience should have been permanently etched into their minds and hearts. But they did forget. So God etched a more permanent reminder into a tablet of stone.

Like the Israelites, I also have the tendency to forget God. I’ll neglect my most important relationship, the one with my Creator and Savior, to let something or someone else take his rightful place in my heart. I don’t think I would treat other relationships half as poorly as I’ve treated the Lord. If he was a human husband, I’m certain he would have divorced me by now. If he was a human employer, he would have already fired me. But thankfully my Lord is faithful to me even when I am not.

Joni mentioned she saw a little Buddha surrounded by incense and candles at a Vietnamese nail salon. I’ve seen those idols in our local malls. How simple it would be to find the idols in my life if they were all little statues on altars! But an idol is any thing or person in my life that competes with my devotion to God, and it’s usually a deep, dark secret…

“Let all those be ashamed who serve graven images, who boast themselves of idols” (Psalm 97:7 NASB)

This verse provides help in exposing idols that are tucked away in my heart and mind. As Joni said, “God has engineered our sense of shame to reveal those things, people, or vocations we idolize”. So when I blush or feel shame, I should stop what I’m doing and pay close attention. I need to ask the Holy Spirit where that feeling came from. What hidden idol was just exposed? Was it pride? Lust? Envy?

“The Holy Spirit [says]: ‘I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds’” (Hebrews 10:15-16)

Thank you, Father. Even though I didn’t deserve it you covered me with Christ—filled me with your Spirit—and made me an heir to your eternal kingdom. I will never be able to thank you enough! Help me keep guard against idols. Keep all my relationships from harm. May I never take you for granted. Use my life to bring glory to your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna