Tuesday, November 24, 2009

She Did What She Could (#59 of 365+)

When my husband’s little brother visited us at our little apartment for the first time after we got married, I wanted him to feel comfortable enough to spend the night if he wanted to. But I
was distressed that we didn’t have an extra bed or a pull-out sofa for him. Since my son was going to stay at his grandma’s that weekend I washed his bedding and then I went to Target to buy a new bath towel, washcloth, and toothbrush in a color I hoped my brother-in-law would like. I don’t recall what I served for dinner that evening, but it was a recipe I found online and he seemed to enjoy it. I guess I worked so hard to impress him because I wanted to bring honor to my husband.

That night I went to bed early and left the guys alone to spend quality time with each other. The next morning, I was shocked to find out that my brother-in-law chose to sleep on our leather couch in the living room instead of in the comfortable (clean) bed upstairs in my son’s room. I went ahead and fixed us all a big breakfast after my husband and I got ready for church. To my dismay, my brother-in-law decided to skip the shower altogether even after we told him I’d set aside a towel and a washcloth for him. While I was trying to decide how to feel about that, he used the toothbrush I bought for him and tucked it into his backpack.

In today’s devotional, Joni mentioned she sometimes stays awake at night wondering if she has done something correctly. Although I love to get my 8 to 9 hours of sleep every night, I admit that I sometimes do exactly the same thing. But, more often than not, my anxious thoughts will take over during daylight hours. For several days after my brother-in-law’s visit I mentally flogged myself and tried to think of what I should have done differently. His actions seemed to indicate he didn’t feel completely at home, so that meant one thing—I had failed.

"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her" (Mark 14:6, 8-9)

Feelings of insecurity or even guilt are a common human experience, particularly among Christians in ministry. Perhaps it’s because those thoughts don’t always come from within; there is a reason our enemy is called “The Accuser” (Revelation 12:10). Joni said the remedy is to pray in advance for the Holy Spirit’s help. She explains, “We can only do what we are able to do; but inspired by the Spirit, it’s always a beautiful thing in Jesus’ sight.”

The next time I pray for the Spirit’s help, and then do what I am able to do, I will try to remember the story in Mark 14. If thoughts of insecurity or guilt start to creep into my mind, I will read those verses of Jesus saying to her accuser(s), “Leave her alone. She did what she could, and I think it’s beautiful”.

Lord, I will do what I can. May your Spirit help me to do something beautiful for you today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna