Sunday, November 22, 2009

In Weakness, Made Strong (#57 of 365+)

It is human nature to want to hide my faults and shortcomings. I'm not talking about simple physical defects (like the dark spots under my eyes that I try to brighten with make-up) but those big
defects I’ve had ever since my dysfunctional childhood. God is healing me more and more every day, and my husband is so loving and understanding about everything, but I know it’s going to be a long process. It's a little embarrassing to share these openly but, in light of today’s devotional message, I feel it is a necessary and healthy exercise.

“Who in the world do you think you are to second-guess God? Do you for one moment suppose any of us knows enough to call God into question? Clay doesn't talk back to the fingers that mold it, saying, ‘Why did you shape me like this?’ What if he did [it] to make the riches of his glory known? Hosea put it well: I'll call nobodies and make them somebodies; I’ll call the unloved and make them beloved. In the place where they yelled out, ‘You're nobody!’ they're calling you ‘God's living children’” (Romans 9:20, 23, 25-26 MSG)

I can think of two main psychological weaknesses stemming from my childhood experiences that the Holy Spirit is helping me to overcome: 1) a desperate need to be left completely alone, especially when I’ve experienced stress and 2) a cringe-inducing fear of forced ritual hugging, when someone expects a hug every time they see you at church or a family event. Wow. That’s the first time I’ve typed out that last part and I know it sounds odd... but it’s true!

Today Joni told a story that reminds me that my weaknesses are opportunities for God to work mightily through me. Doug Nichols was a missionary to India in 1967. (I looked up Mr. Nichols’ website this morning and found this story also posted here). Briefly, Mr. Nichols spent several months as a patient at a tuberculosis sanitarium. No one would read his gospel tracts and he was quickly losing heart. Late one night, although his own body was very weak, he got out of bed to carry another even weaker patient to the bathroom. After that powerful and merciful act many people in the hospital became receptive to the gospel. Several even received Christ as Savior.

“He was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God's power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God's power we will live with him to serve you” (2 Corinthians 13:4)

Father God, I realize that sometimes I must put my weaknesses on display in order to help others see your power at work in me. May I be an authentic Christian at all times. It is for your kingdom purposes and in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I was blessed to read your blog and now I understand the "shying" away from those hugs. I'm truly glad that you and your husband are very much a part of River's Edge. Continue to shine for Him. -Pastor Tony

    ReplyDelete

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna