Thursday, November 26, 2009

Genuine Contrition (#61 of 365+)

“He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy” (Proverbs 28:13)

Last night my husband asked me a simple question at a moment
when I was especially tired and ill-tempered. I misunderstood what he was thinking and feeling and became hurt by what I was beginning to think and feel. So I snapped at him. I know I was wrong. I haven’t talked to God about it yet. And I know I need to apologize to my husband, which I will do after I finish this post and he gets out of the shower.

Joni said, “Genuine contrition involves two things: honest confession and true repentance.”

1) Confess the sin to God and the one I hurt.

“Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4)

“Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you. I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered” (Psalm 51:16-17 MSG)

“Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed” (James 5:16  MSG)

2) Repent by not repeating the same behavior.

Lord, you have given me a husband who loves me well. I am so sorry for hurting him. May I always love him the way he deserves, with my heart wide open. I know I can do it consistently with your Spirit’s help. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna