Tuesday, October 13, 2009

When Pain Moves In (#17 of 365+)

The most severe physical pain I’ve known was labor contractions. It was 1993, I was a young first-time mother, and my baby’s father was deployed to Somalia. The pain in my lower back was so
excruciating that I forgot to breathe. I couldn’t hear what the nurse was saying to me. I lost my temper. Every new contraction seemed to last longer and increase in intensity. I remember crying pitifully into my pillow and being convinced that I was going to die.

Today’s devotional verses are Psalms 38:7-8, 15. The psalmist’s body is wracked with pain but he continues to have the firm hope that God will respond and help him. As Joni points out, every living person struggles with some form of pain and it isn’t always physical pain. Anxiety, heartache, grief, and remorse are also common to our human experience. Sometimes the pain comes from a place deeper than the reach of prescription pills, drugs, or alcohol. When the pain is that excruciating all we can do is cry out for release.

In verse 8 the psalmist says, “I groan”. I find this interesting, it reminds me of Romans 8:26 where Paul said of believers that “the Spirit helps us in our weakness” and although “we do not know what we ought to pray for… the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” Our human frailties are beautiful opportunities for us to rely on God’s presence and power.

I obviously didn’t die on that cold December day in 1993. I finally mustered up the determination to work with the pain and very soon after that I heard the cry of my first-born son. From the moment I saw his innocent face gazing back at me, the fear and pain of the past several hours fell away from me forever and was replaced by an indescribable joy. I imagine it will be even more glorious the day I see my Savior’s face. The bible says, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain" (Revelation 21:4)

Lord, thank you for giving me comfort me when I’m in pain. Help me to struggle less and rely on you more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna