Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No Divisions (#32 of 365+)

“God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal
concern for each other” (1 Corinthians 12:24-25). “The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: …discord, jealousy,… selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy... I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Today’s devotional was about the harm of divisions within the church. Although I don’t think I’m taking sides with any issues within my own church, the lesson I took away from today’s verses was that my responsibility isn’t merely to avoid division. I should go farther and promote unity.

God showed me a “picture” of how to promote unity before I had a chance to begin my devotional. I was off from work today, so I slept in and finally got out of bed to take the dogs to their early morning grooming appointment. Before sitting down for my devotional time I decided to do a little cleaning and I came across some photos of my uncle’s family. Now, I am not exaggerating when I say they are the ideal family. They’re always smiling, kissing, hugging, planning family reunions, spending the holidays together, and staying involved in each other’s lives. My aunt and uncle seem to have been madly in love for the past fifty years! Their successful marriage and the lives of their six children (and all their grandchildren) are their greatest sources of pride. They take care to mail annual letters to every person on their mailing list to keep everyone informed of the latest family news. Their most recent letter said they’re “enjoying life and getting closer to our Savior”.

Just like any normal family, they’ve had both good times and bad times but I’ve never seen a family work so hard at being authentic, and promoting their spirit of love and unity. And I’m sure it has taken a lot of hard work. Most of the family is now scattered across the U.S. so it takes even more effort and commitment to keep those close ties. In much the same way, promoting unity within the body of Christ will also require some thought, purposeful action (spending time and money), and lots of prayer.

These days it seems whenever Christians are portrayed in the news it’s in a negative light. It’s rare to see Christians showing Christ’s love for each other or for the world out of completely pure motives. I imagine from the world’s point of view American Christians are all about infighting, dissension, and competition. I think it’s time to examine our hearts and ask ourselves what we’re trying to accomplish here. As Hank Hanegraaf always says, “In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, but in all things charity.”

Jesus said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35).

Spirit of God, rid me of any spirit of discord or selfish ambition that I may have. Help me to love and promote unity within the body of Christ, and among the members of my own family. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna